Best custom field WordPress plugins that will help you to add additional fields to your pages. This is a type of functionality that is crucial to an online directory site, sites with classified ads, and similar niche websites.
Now WordPress, by default does come with its own version of adding custom fields. However, it is not that intuitive, and users have a difficult using it to their advantage.
But this should not be that big a problem, as WordPress offers plenty of plugins which handles the job just fine.
And so, for the purpose of this read, we will be covering some of the best Custom Fields Plugins for WordPress.
So without further ado, let’s get on with the list:
Top Custom Field Plugins for WordPress
Advanced Custom Fields
Advanced Custom Fields, once installed, will hand you complete control over your WordPress edit screen and custom field data. It also brings in much flexibility over the default offering.
The plugin comes packed with a field builder which offers a quick and easy way to add fields to WP edit screens. There is also the flexibility to add custom fields anywhere on your site, including posts, pages, comments, taxonomy terms, and media.
All necessary features of the plugin are provided in its free version, but there is also a premium version which naturally adds in much more advanced options.
- A very simple and intuitive UI.
- Packed with over 30 different field types.
- Developer friendly, making it compatible with any theme or template.
- Pro Version offers searchable dropdowns, smarter DB calls, Improved UI and so on.
Pods WordPress plugin offers the full package to help you manage all your custom content needs from one location.
Starting from the option to create and edit custom content and fields for placing them anywhere on your website the plugin can help you do all that and more.
You also get the flexibility as well as options to create as big or small content type as you need. It also offers functionality to edit all the existing content types you have on your website.
And if that is not enough, the plugin is rigged with plenty of options to make the custom content and field as rich as you need them.
- Easy to use.
- Shortcode and Widget support.
- Option to create connections with all your other content.
- Option to create custom post types, taxonomies, setting pages, and content types, apart from custom fields.
- Over 10 custom field types.
Custom Field Template
Custom Field Template is a simple custom fields plugin for WordPress which doesn’t over complicate with a barrage of functionalities. Once installed, it will help by extending the default functionalities you already get with WordPress.
Using the plugin is no different from the default procedure for creating custom fields. As stated, the plugin will add more options and features, so now you can do much more than what was available by default.
- Support for shortcodes.
- Option to set any number of custom field templates.
- You can use the plugin to set an access user level value.
Custom Field Suite
Custom Field Suite offers an abundance of field types so that you have maximum flexibility while creating your custom field.
However, despite a large number of options, the plugin is extremely light which is always a good thing.
You will be able to access all the features and functionalities of the plugin right from the familiar UI of your WordPress Admin panel.
From there you can seamlessly create custom field types ranging from WYSIWYG, file upload, relationships, and so on.
- The plugin offers access to 14 field types in total.
- You will have options to create repeatable fields with Loop and group fields with Tab.
- Support for a placement rules box which allows you to choose where you want your custom fields to appear.
Toolset Types is a simple and intuitive plugin which lets you add custom fields to your WordPress website along with custom post types, and custom taxonomies.
All the functionalities of the plugin can be managed from a well-organized dashboard.
The plugin gives you all the necessary tools to add content types, custom fields, and taxonomies, to ultimately craft the WordPress admin into your very own content management system.
The plugin is also very much developer friendly. The fields API which comes with the plugin allows PHP developers to gain control over many aspects of the plugins and tweak it to their advantage.
- Option to add custom fields for posts, taxonomy terms, and users.
- Control over which users can view and edit which fields. Useful for membership sites.
- Support for over 20 different custom field types.
- Multilingual support.
Just Custom Fields
Just Custom Fields WordPress plugin comes packed with options which will help you to extend your posts, pages, and taxonomies with additional fields on your website.
Besides this, one of its strong points would be that it is super easy to use.
The plugin offers a very simple and intuitive settings page, from where you can take complete control of all its features in a matter of minutes.
Furthermore, since the plugin uses standard APIs, you will be able to use all standard WordPress functions in your themes/plugins.
- Support for over 10 custom field types.
- Multisite networks can set Field settings to function globally.
- Option to save Fields settings into a file system.
Meta Box is a free-to-use WordPress plugin which functions as a full-blown custom fields framework. It is jam-packed with powerful features and options, which makes it a viable as a professional toolkit for developers.
It comes with some advanced APIs which can be implemented to create custom meta boxes and custom fields for any post type in WordPress. You will have unlimited possibilities as you are handed a wide range of field types and lots of options for each field type.
Now it is worth noting, the to take full advantage of the plugin, users are advised to have a little coding knowledge. This makes Meta Box more popular among developers than general users.
- Support for over 40 different field types.
- There is an option that allows for cloning of fields and most field types.
- Access to several powerful features and filters which developers will find extremely useful.
- Several free extensions to expand its functionality.
CMB2 WordPress plugin is yet another plugin that functions as a developer toolkit. It packs in rich features and options which developers can utilize for building meta boxes, custom fields, and forms in WordPress.
Although available for free, the professional level high-quality designs that the plugin delivers is simply breathtaking.
Through the plugin, you will be able to oversee multiple meta for posts, terms, and much more. It also helps you to modify many aspects of the library without editing anything directly.
- Comes packed with several field types.
- Create rich meta boxes and functional forms.
- APIs allow you to use CMB forms anywhere on your site.
- Support for repeatable fields as well as repeatable field groups.
WCK is more of a user-friendly solution for adding custom fields to your WordPress website. You can access all the features the plugin has to offer without any coding knowledge.
WCK, short for WordPress Creation Kit mainly consists of three tools. One tool which helps create and maintain custom post types, one for custom taxonomies, and the last one for custom fields and meta boxes.
You can take advantage of all these features through a beautiful and intuitive UI. And if you wish access to even better functionalities, then you can upgrade to their pro version.
- You can use the plugin to create around 14 different custom field types.
- Support for Repeater Fields and Repeater Groups of custom fields.
- Image and file upload support.
- Drag and drop functionality for ordering the repeater fields.
- And then with the PRO version, you get Swift Templates, front-end posting, options page creator, and much more.
And now for the final entry on our list, we have Carbon Fields. This here is another developer oriented custom fields plugins for WordPress which can be used as a library for easy creation of custom fields.
The plugin supports custom fields creation for post types, taxonomy terms, users, comments, options, navigation menus, and so on. Then there is widget support, option to easily extend its functions as it is object-oriented.
And so, for a free price tag, and some coding knowledge, this plugin allows you to rich custom fields, and implement them on your WordPress website.
- Widget support allows you to implement custom fields almost anywhere on your site.
- Object-oriented style of the plugin makes it functions easy to extend upon.
- Support for nested field groups.
- Comes packed with over 20 different field types.
So these were our picks for the best custom fields plugins for WordPress. Hope you found this read helpful. Do let us know which plugin you found most appealing to handle your own project.
Also, if you use some other powerful custom fields plugin other than what we have mentioned here, then do let us know which ones you use.
This will add to the scope of the read. Your fellow readers will also appreciate your contributions.